Many people have experienced things which cannot be explained. They may feel the cause is ghosts....perhaps it is. What is a ghost? No one really knows. All we do know is that things happen without a plausible explanation.

I work from a neutral or "agnostic" standpoint with no prejudices in terms of belief or disbelief in these reported events and when I do investigate, it is from a strictly "nuts-and-bolts" view to what's been experienced and why.

This blog is a portal for those who want to share, talk or learn about their experiences with the unknown. Your anonymity is sacred and no judgment will be passed on you. By talking about your experiences you may find it helps. Educating yourself is a great way to lessen your fear....or pursue your interest.

If you have an experience you would like to report click on the Ghosts and Hauntings Reporting form found on the top right of the sidebar.

Thursday, 9 June 2011

A Separate Reality.

Everybody seems to have a different way of seeing the world even though we all use the same senses to gather in details about our environment. So, it can be conceived that one persons reality is not necessarily identical to the next persons.

I’ve often wondered why it is that some people seem to see ghosts all the time and why others go through their whole lives and never see anything. Right away I’m confronted with a hundred variables which would affect the answer….so, ya…sorry no answers to the unknown in this blog post either but lots of things to ponder upon. Personally speaking I believe part of the answer lies in the human brain.

Our brains take in information from the real world by use of the senses. I’ve read lots of articles debating whether the ratio of rods to cones in an individuals eye is a contributing factor to their ability to see a ghost, or that sensitive ear bones could lend people the ability to hear things others don’t. However, I’m not an expert on these subjects so I won’t attempt to render these theories into a dogs breakfast. I’m going to do more postulating about the reality/brain connection in a psychological way.

If someone has experienced what they believe to be a ghost they will be much more likely to become a believer. If someone has never experienced a ghost then they are more likely to become a non-believer. Who’s the right one? Well, as far as I can tell they’re both wrong. Sure the believers saw something, but do they know it’s a ghost? Sure the non believers didn’t see anything unusual but does absence of evidence mean non existence? I’m not discounting that the believer saw or heard something they could not explain….I’m more interested in WHAT they saw/heard, and how. Sometimes you’ll read a ghost and haunting report where more than one person is in the room at the time of the ghost sighting, yet not all of those present saw something. Why?

The answer may lie in how our brain interprets the real world. As an example I’ll use the eye as the sensory tool here. The brain has a category for most everything it sees…..something to cross reference what it sees and so come up with an explanation of what “it” is. If it doesn’t recognize what it sees and has no reference material in its data banks then it refers the matter over to the closest thing it resembles. After you explore the new “it” you gain more data on the subject and so a new category is created. But what if there is absolutely NO reference point for your poor addled brain to relate it to? What if what you saw was a glowing, floating kind of mist that looked like the shape of a person? What would be your first thought? Ghost! Of course, traditionally speaking the above explanation of a ghost is the most popular version, hence, the answer your brain comes up with. For most people this is the only reference point they have, derived mostly from cultural memory, (previous post).

I also think that if you believe in something hard enough you can make it come true….at least to yourself. When I was a kid I was afraid of the dark, (but I DIDN’T suck my thumb!...honest!) Laying awake at night in my bed my imagination would run rampant despite the fact I gave it no such permission to do so! The dark possibilities of what was out there seized my mind…after awhile my imagination got really good and I actually convinced myself that I could hear footsteps from somewhere in the house. This would happen to me every night for the next three months and scared the living bejeesus out of me and introduced me to sleep deprivation, (a skill that would come in handy after I had my first child). Eventually, one night I decided to get out of bed to investigate, doing so in the spirit of, it’s better to know what’s coming to eat me than to be taken completely unawares and never know what ate me. My petrified self followed the anomalous sound all the way to the kitchen….. where I found my dog scratching at herself with her hind paw. The resulting thump thump of her elbow on the kitchen floor, although not sounding much like footsteps at all, were indeed the source of my monster. My point is, with a little imagination you can fill in the missing pieces needed to create a really awesome waking nightmare. I couldn’t say for sure, but it seems more than just coincidence that the footsteps stopped the night after bathing the dog and the application of a flea collar.

Back to the thread. Is it then possible for someone to see something they believe is a ghost as a ghost? I think it is possible. Yet I don’t think it is the only explanation of what ghosts are. This just serves as an example that we can’t always trust our senses.

Now, as for the person who has never experienced anything ghostly there are a number of options. Some people are naturally more rational than others….some overly so. With this type of personality it becomes much easier to explain away what they saw or heard. Unfortunately ALL things unexplainable get explained away regardless of any credible evidence to the contrary. I often theorize that some people may not see anything because their brains can’t handle anything so radical…the brain just seizes up, and sends out messages to the senses to kindly stuff it! And stop demanding the brain leave it’s comfort zone! Lets face it, some people are more open to new and exotic experiences, (within the bounds of the Provincial laws please). Can it be that some people’s absolute anti-desire to see a ghost precludes them to paranormal blindness?

According to the above hypothesis it would be best to maintain a balanced and neutral mind when confronting phenomenon, otherwise our brains get in the way and fabricate the evidence and/or remove it. Whether there is any grain of truth to what I’ve said I think it can be agreed upon that our perceptions of the world around us, and how we interpret them, are highly individualistic. Therefore I think it wise to keep this idea in mind when we find ourselves exploring the unknown…we must question even ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment